Monday, February 18, 2013

Simply Mad About My Business


Simply Mad Jewelry
Happy Monday!  Welcome to another exciting week full of magic and the unexpected!  I wish you a happy one!

The mission to take my jewelry business flying high continues.  I have made lots of progress and it was time to take another step.  I needed to define a few things about my business and answer the "why do I make the kind of jewelry I make?" question.  Something that had been difficult to answer until I gained some clarity about my drive and intention earlier this year.  It was time to write my "About Page".

I like writing, but "writing" and writing about myself are two VERY different things and the task seemed daunting at first.  I decided, after much financial consideration, I decided to hire a copywriter.  They asked me for as much detail as I could give them about myself, my business, my dreams and my ideal client or in a more bussiness-y term, my target audience.

I sent all the required information and shortly after I got the first draft.  Now, I had never worked with a copywriter before so I didn't know what to expect but the first draft was disappointing - perhaps my fault.  I felt it was a little bit of "copy & paste" of the info I had provided.  { If any copywriters are reading this, please do not be offended }.  After telling my husband about my disappointment, he said, "I don't understand why are you paying someone to do this; you like writing and no one can write "about you" and tell "your story" better than yourself.  He was right!

image borrowed from www.theprofitguide.com

I sat down and looked at all the details I had sent to the copywriter and right there hidden in all those words was the reason I do what I do and the person I do it for...I was able to spell out my wish for my jewelry and I finally gave my ideal customer an identity.  It took several drafts, more than a few re-reads and enough strokes of the "delete" key to have my fingerprint show on it, but I did it!  I DID IT!  Yay for me!  I ended up with an "About Page" that gives me direction, keeps me focuses and best of all, it gives me great satisfaction to have done it myself!

And you my dear - my ideal customer, my muse, my constant companion.  You are fashionable but not trendy...you like a good dose of classic style with just a tiny twist that quietly sets you apart from the rest!  I can now picture you every time I am designing a new piece and take you with me when I am out shopping for my "raw"materials.  You are amazing!

This is the end result...


About Page

Hello! I am the Mad(eline) in Simply Mad and I am glad you are here!

I love creating with my hands and traveling and I have been blessed with the opportunity to do both in the last 3 years.  My husband travels often for work and my jewelry and I tag along every chance we get.  

Up until recently my inspiration had come from a very personal place making it difficult to give each piece its own story, its own voice.  The new collections will be inspired by an experience, a souvenir, a picture, a local flea market or any other treasure found during my travels.

There are few things more satisfying than seeing something take shape from inspiration, to sketch, to final product and know that once completed it will go out into the world to make someone happy and live out its story while creating unforgettable moments along the way.

{ My wish }
I wish that my travel-inspired jewelry will transport you to a place you have been to which holds great memories for you or to new lands you want to explore where happy memories are waiting to be made.  I want you to connect with your Simply Mad pieces and share the story behind them with your friends and family.  Tell them how your piece came to be, where in the world it was “born”,  and what inspired it.  When I sit down at my design table I have you in mind…the future wear-er and I always wonder what kind of adventures are in store for my newly created pieces and its new owner.  What great moments will my jewelry bear witness to?  I want my jewelry to be more than just an accessory, I want each piece to be an experience every time you wear it.

I hope you will come along on my journey and will embark on your own adventures with your travel-inspired Simply Mad Jewelry.


What do think?  I love hearing from you so comment away or email me :o)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Tu esposo tenia razón: Tu lo podias escribir mejor que nadie! Se siente genuino y que eres tu! Felicidades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Madeline, I have just found your beautiful Etsy shop and WOW your designs are just beautiful, I loved looking through all of your pieces. I think your 'about' page sounds amazing and I wish you lots and lots of luck with your business, I will definately be calling back to see your beautiful designs again,
    Emma
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma & Susan! Thanks for the comment. Hope to "see" you again soon :o)

      Delete