Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Simply Mad about LOVE Stories - day 5


Here it is!  Day 5 of "14 Days of Love Stories".  This is Brad's story directly from Idaho.  I took him close to a year but he never gave up and it paid off...in the end he got the girl!  Brad, Nicole and their four children live in Idaho. Brad runs two blogs, a travel blog: www.worldwanderlusting.com and a "help-for-husbands" blog, www.dailycharmer.com.

Here is Brad and Nicole's Story
{ Finding My Life’s Treasure
An account of the blossoming love of Brad Christensen and Nicole Christensen, 
from August of 2000 to July of 2001

As a homesick missionary with just a few months before heading home, I spent a day holed up in a shabby apartment in Elorrio, pouring over the BSU class catalog for fall semester of 2000.  I had concluded that I’d study communication, and picked a few classes to that end… but I also needed a class that would re-expose me to the world I’d been missing for 2 years.  I hadn’t touched math in two years, but that didn’t sound nearly as intriguing as the social dance class I was considering; after all I hadn’t touched a girl in two years.”  The decision was made.  Months later, I found myself in Boise.  With only 5 days as a non-missionary, I walked into the rec. room in the Pavilion at Boise State.  Surveying my options, my eyes fixated on a particularly gorgeous girl with beautiful, long, blond, curly hair. So, as best a freshly returned missionary can do, I sought to make a good impression. 

The dance group gathered in a circle, and each person began by saying their name, and making a gesture that everyone could remember them by.  I anxiously awaited the opportunity to learn this girl’s name.  Stepping forward, she said “My name is Nicole,” and curtsied.  “A curtsy,” I thought, “how could this girl get any more perfect?” 

When Thursday came I arrived a little early and found her seated against the wall, studying something.  I studied the perfection of her legs for just a moment, and then I asked her “What are you reading?’ With a coy smile, she said, “I’m actually memorizing.  It’s something for my church.”  Trying to disguise my high hopes, I inquired, “Does it begin with ‘I believe in God the Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ?”  “Yes, it does,” she said.  In my mind, bells rang as if I had just hit the Jackpot… not only was she the perfect specimen of womankind, but she was also a Mormon! 

Thoughts of marriage flurried in my head until, like the blaring horn of an oncoming truck would awaken a driver who had fallen asleep at the wheel and then my daydreams came to a screeching halt as she mentioned that she had a boyfriend.  Emotionally careening off a precipice, I bit my lip and tried to smile. 


 Through casual conversation, and my obvious efforts to align myself directly across from her in the dance lines, I got to know her a little better week by week.  It was just little things at first… she liked peachy-o’s, she was a hurdler in high school, her favorite movie was “Last of the Mohicans,” and she worked at R.C. Willey. 


One day I wanted to make some kind of gesture to indicate that the only reason I was still going to the class in spite of an injury I suffered during Lacrosse practice, was to see her.  So on my way to class, I stopped in at Albertson’s, hopped inside on one leg, bought some Peachy-o’s and hopped out.

I hobbled into the dance class and positioned myself against the wall, conveniently close to Nicole’s coat.  I secretly placed the bag of Peachy-o’s inside her coat and waited for the class to end.  When it did end, I anxiously waited for her to find the treat and assume that I had put them there.  However, much to my disheartenment, she snatched up her coat and went running out, without even checking the pockets.   I was about to start feeling sorry for myself when she must have felt something bulky in her pocket.  By that time I was up and hobbling my way toward the door.   As she realized what it was, she turned and ran back to me.  Her beautiful, wide smile warmed my heart… and with an enthusiastic “thank you,” she hugged me.   It was the first time she would hug me for just a few seconds too long.

The thrill of these exhilarating interactions was intermittent with heartbreaking reminders that she had a boyfriend.  I felt like I had made progress by becoming her friend.  I made it a point to dress a little nicer on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I tried to make indiscriminate efforts to flirt while still being respectful, but little did I know that she was beginning to find “the RM in her dance class” to be quite charming in his own right.   

As the first semester wound down and the time came to choose classes for the next semester, I was pleasantly surprised when Nicole told me that she would be taking the intermediate social dance class in the spring.   She asked if I would be enrolling and as nonchalantly as possible, I told her that I was thinking about it.  

In the normal course of life, Christmas break would be like a godsend, but that year it meant a month without the invigorating weekly exchanges with the girl I had become completely enamored by.  I loved everything about her.  I loved the way she was friendly to me, but still maintained the respect to honor her relationship.   

Just weeks into the semester, she questioned why I hadn’t been at the institute skating activity… the truth is that if I had known that she was going to be there, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.   But in her questioning, I saw a window of opportunity… there’s no way I would miss my next shot.  And lucky for me, that next shot came sooner than I had expected.  Near the end of January, the held a sledding activity.   And fortunately enough, she asked if I’d be going.  Pretending that my interest was weaker than it was, I said I’d see if it would fit into my schedule.

After the sledding activity, we stopped at the hot spring, where I implored her to join me in the pool.  She declined but offered to sit around the outside while I took a dip.   At the end of the evening, the thought of parting from what had been the most exultant ecstasy I had known, was positively harrowing.   As we parked, in what may have been the linchpin in making my life what it is today, she offered to have me come over to see her little brother, who was just 8 months old.
I gave her fair warning. “You know, if I know where you live, it’s going to significantly increase my stalking capabilities,” I said.   Ignoring the warning, she invited me to follow her.  I went inside and met her family.  After chatting for a while, we had dinner at Chili’s and eventually ended up back at her house again.   As the day came to a close, we bid farewell, and there in her room, flush with track and field medals and trophies, pictures of unicorns, and glow-in-the-dark stars, she hugged me again… for just a few seconds too long.  I will forever remember that hug.   

On Monday, much to my dismay, a dark cloud hung over the BSU rec. room.   The angel I had dreamt of all weekend wasn’t there.  I soon learned that she wasn’t feeling well, and felt inspired not to let the moment of opportunity pass.  Removing the label from a can of Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup, I make my own label, calling it “Feel Good Medicine.”  I delivered it to her house, citing my previous warning that I’d become a full-time stalker if I knew where she lived.  She was enthralled at my genuine concern for her health.  Heading home, my mind raced with thoughts of what could be.  The words of what I knew as a Bob Dylan song rang in my head… and when I got home, I scrawled the lyrics to To Make You Feel My Love on a piece of parchment.

By Wednesday, Nicole was feeling better, and the angelic face I longed to behold, once again graced the BSU campus.  After the class, I felt that I had to confront what appeared to be a tormenting situation.   ”Just come with me… give me two hours,” I pleaded.

When she agreed, I took her to the Discovery Center.  After browsing through a number of intriguing science displays, we settled at a keyboard.  My memory fails to retrieve exactly what words spelled out my confession on the keyboard, but I distinctly recall that she typed “Brad has nice pecs.”  We returned to the parking lot outside the Pavilion where she began to stammer about wanting me to stay interested, but that she needed the time to figure things out.   I understood, but my love was a burning flame, and nothing would extinguish or even dampen it.  As we parted, I gave her an envelope, inside were the words to the song To Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan.

By Sunday, I was dying to see her… and like star-crossed lovers, we met in a secret rendezvous.  It was clear that I was making headway… in fact; she had even broken things off with her boyfriend.   

In the coming week, I paid her another visit at her house, sharing another song that was as fitting as the first: Once in a Lifetime Love by Clay Walker.  And on that night, our minds sealed what our hearts already knew.  The most breathtaking courtship that could ever be imagined took place over the coming weeks and months.  On our first Valentine’s Day together, we absconded to the Wood River Valley, where, with frozen hands I clutched a key to carve the shape of a heart with our initials into a birch tree there in the middle of a playground at the Sun Valley Resort.   As we drove home, the anticipation of what would be our first kiss was unbearable.  I made her dinner and we ate in candlelight…  With the soft harmony of “Like the Rain” in the background, we fell for one another and kissed with all the passion of months of pent-up affection.

By April, we had strengthened our relationship to the point to where we simply couldn’t be without one another.  And on Easter Night, my life felt complete as I held this pure, wonderful woman in my arms and she declared that, in all sincerity, she loved me.  Within weeks, we had reached the point to where we were so comfortable with one another, and so confident in one another, that we would pledge our eternal love.   In preparation to ask her to marry me, I gathered a number of items and packed them in a hiking backpack.

We drove to Banks, and then down the road to the fourth mile marker.  Crossing the road, we headed up to the hot springs on a cool May night.  As if by destiny, the springs were empty.  We had the place entirely to ourselves.  I placed candles around the pool, set up a CD player, and poured sparkling cider into tall glasses.  Periodically, I gave her peach roses, which she clutched earnestly.   Taking the final peach rose, I pressed play on the CD player, which softly played out Garth Brooks’ version of “To Make You Feel My Love.”  Unabashedly, I sang along, until the third verse when I departed from the traditional lyrics, and began to sing my own.

You’re the girl that I’ve been dreamin’ of
And now you’re right here in my arms
Holdin’ you I know this is true love
And I’ll keep you with me safe from harm
No, I’ve never met a girl like you
Never ever felt a love so true
No, there’s nothing that I wouldn’t do
To make you feel my love

As I sang, I plucked the petals from the last rose, dropping them in the pool.  Around us they floated and as I neared the center of the rose, I unveiled a diamond ring, which I placed on her finger, and, kneeling, asked her to be my wife for time and all eternity.  Crying, she answered, “Yes,” and my heart leapt with a sensation that cannot be described.

Just 3 months later, on July 28th, Nicole Poulsen, the girl in my dance class, the heartthrob I dreamt of day and night, became my eternal companion as we were married in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

If this narrative sounds like a storybook romance, it’s because it was… and it is.  I could never ask for a more perfect spouse.   Nicole, you are more than everything I ever dreamed of.  You are my life’s true love.

Epilogue
Nicole and I have been privileged to have four adorable children born to us.  They have blessed our lives so exquisitely, that we cannot even imagine life without their smiles, fun-loving characters, and limitless energy. }

No comments:

Post a Comment